Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
As one of the top personal injury lawyers in Utica, NY, we are experienced and skilled in handling pedestrian vs. motor vehicle accidents. When it comes to pedestrian accidents, motorists usually are the only party walking out of a pedestrian accident unscathed.
At crosswalks in New York State, drivers are legally required to yield to pedestrians. However, drivers often fail to keep an eye out for pedestrians, which can result in horrific accidents involving a pedestrian and a motor vehicle.
What is a Pedestrian Accident?
A pedestrian accident is an accident that involves a vehicle on the road and individuals or pedestrians walking on the street. Depending on the speed of the vehicle, the victim may suffer from severe and possibly even life-threatening or permanent injuries. A pedestrian accident is a very traumatic experience for all parties involved.
CONTACT US FOR A FREE CASE EVALUATION
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
- Left-Hand Turns – While making a turn, drivers are more likely to be focused on looking at where they are going and negotiating the intersection with traffic rather than pedestrians crossing the road. Three times as many people are hit by vehicles turning left than right.
- Reckless Driving – This includes speeding, failure to obey rules of the road, or making illegal U-turns.
- Electronics/Distractions – Cell phones are a major cause of pedestrian accidents with both drivers and pedestrians to blame. A driver may drift into the sidewalk or not see a pedestrian if they are texting, and a pedestrian may wander into oncoming traffic if they are distracted by their phone or cannot hear a vehicle coming if they are wearing headphones.
- Alcohol or Drug Use – Again, both drivers and pedestrians could be to blame in this cause of pedestrian accidents. 37 percent of pedestrians who were fatally injured have blood alcohol levels of at least the legal limit at 0.08 percent. Drivers who get behind the wheel under the influence are involved in 13 percent of pedestrian accidents.
- Quiet Cars – While energy-efficient vehicles such as battery-operated cars and hybrids are ideal to keep the neighborhood quiet, they may be more difficult for pedestrians to detect.
- Nighttime Driving – A pedestrian may not be easily seen at nighttime, especially on dark roadways or unlit highways. It has been reported that seventy percent of pedestrian accidents occur at night.
- Parking Lots – While walking in parking lots, drivers may be more focused on finding a parking spot or backing out of a parking lot than paying attention to pedestrians walking in their vicinity. Using crosswalks reduces the risk of a pedestrian accident. This makes drivers more likely to see pedestrians crossing a parking lot or roadway.
As a pedestrian, you have rights. You have the right-of-way when crossing the roadway within a crosswalk. Vehicles coming from a driveway must yield to pedestrians as well. You also have the right to a safe path to walk on. Sidewalks and roadways must be properly maintained to ensure your safety.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Injuries suffered by pedestrians can be catastrophic, including:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Spinal Injuries
- Fractured Extremities
- Lacerations leading to permanent disfigurement
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need a team of experienced personal injury lawyers ready to fight for you and your rights. As a pedestrian accident victim, your medical bills may be piling up and you may be out of work for some time. The People’s Lawyer has the knowledge and experience to get you the substantial compensation you deserve.
Don’t suffer because of someone else’s negligence. Contact Brindisi, Murad & Brindisi Pearlman, Utica pedestrian accident lawyers, for a free consultation today at (315) 733-2396 or (800) 8LTB-LAW.
If You Have Been Injured In A Pedestrian Accident
Contact Us For A Free Consultation
HELPING CENTRAL NEW YORK PEOPLE WHEN IT COUNTS
Our Law Firm Gets Results
INJURED IN AN ACCIDENT?
CONTACT BMBP TODAY!
BRINDISI, MURAD & BRINDISI PEARLMAN
2713 Genesee Street
Utica, NY 13501
MONDAY – FRIDAY