Central New York is full of beautiful lakes, rivers, and reservoirs, and if you own a boat, you get the full experience of these bodies of water in the summer months. But before you take on the waves, you need to make sure you have a few boating supplies and essentials to help you out of sticky situations.
Top 10 Essential Boat Supplies
We’ve come up with a list of top 10 essentials boat enthusiasts should have on their boat before they ride. If you’re an avid boater, do you have all of these?
- Current registration – Make sure you are following the law while operating the vessel.
- Boating and fishing license – A boating license is required to operate a boat and a NYS fishing license is needed in order to fish while on the boat. Make sure you have the proper documentation to legally execute these fun hobbies.
- First aid kit – In case someone is injured on the lake, include a first aid kit complete with bandages, aspirin, motion sickness pills, antiseptic, etc.
- Boat safety kit – This kit is full of items you would need on a boat in case of emergency such as a life jacket, boat flares, fire extinguisher, raft, non-perishable snacks, and water.
- Marine radio and/or cell phone – If you need help, having one of these to reach someone is crucial. Marine radios are continuously monitored by the US Coast Guard to help anyone in need.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and/or a hat – While out on the water, boaters are exposed to the harsh rays of the sun. Be sure to have sunscreen, lip balm with SPF, sunglasses, and a hat to protect yourself.
- Towels – You need something to dry off after jumping in the lake!
- Extra clothes sealed in a bag – After being in the water, it can be uncomfortable wearing wet clothes for the rest of the day. Be sure to pack extra clothing that is sealed in a dry bag. Throw in a sweatshirt as well, in case it gets chillier in the evening.
- Cooler – Keep your beverages chilled in a cooler! You also need one if you intend on taking home any fish, pending the laws of the lake.
- Waterproof camera – Capture the memories on a waterproof camera!
How to Make Sure to Avoid a Boating Accident
What to Do If You Are Involved in a Boating Accident
CONTACT US FOR A FREE CASE EVALUATION
It’s the unofficial finale of summer, Labor Day Weekend has many Central New Yorkers packing up to go camping, throwing a barbecue, and spending time with family and friends in the fleeting moments of summer heat. Unfortunately for some, that also means some serious...
Summer time is here which means many Central New Yorkers are aching for a vacation getaway. For many, a cruise is the perfect retreat to escape life for a few days. For Jane and her family, their vacation turned into a nightmare. She and her family boarded a...
On a recent Fourth of July weekend, two siblings from Missouri were enjoying their summer, swimming near a private boat dock when suddenly their parents heard their screams. They rushed to help but it was too late. The children ages 13 and 8 were both...