As we approach the summer months, we see more and more motorcyclists on the roads enjoying our beautiful upstate New York landscape. As more motorcyclists are exposed to the open road, motorcycle accidents can occur and be very dangerous for riders and their passengers. With no metal casing like in a standard, four-wheeled vehicle, motorcyclists are more likely to suffer from severe injuries in an accident. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 80 percent of motorcycle crashes result in injury or death. These motorcycle accident injuries could range from scrapes and bruises, to road rash, to broken bones, to a head injury or possibly even to death. For fatal motorcycle accidents or motorcycle injuries that are more severe, the victim (or their families) may have unpaid medical bills, missed time from work, or, in the most unfortunate cases, funeral expenses. If this has happened to you or someone you love, it is a good idea to consult with a motorcycle accident attorney.
Benefits of Hiring an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney
While many people have their reasons, there are various benefits to hiring a motorcycle accident attorney.
- A lawyer understands the legal process. A personal injury attorney that is familiar with motorcycle accidents will be able to guide you through the legal process with their knowledge and experience. Litigating or mediating your claim can make the lawsuit complicated, and an experienced attorney will keep the insurance company from taking advantage of you.
- An attorney is aware of how much your claim is potentially worth. Many victims do not know the amount of money they may receive from a motorcycle accident claim. A personal injury lawyer can analyze the case and fully understand just how much compensation you may be entitled to.
- A motorcycle accident lawyer makes a great sidekick. Going at it alone, motorcycle lawsuits are an uphill battle. A personal injury lawyer on your side improves your odds for getting the reparations you deserve. A skilled motorcycle attorney will negotiate and fight for your rights.
- If your claim goes to trial, a motorcycle accident attorney will be able to help. Though it is unlikely, as many motorcycle crash lawsuits are settled, a lawyer will be fully equipped to handle the courtroom and fight insurance companies for your best offer.
What to Look for When Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Choosing the right person to represent you without a doubt determines your potential success in a motorcycle accident case. There are a few major components to look for when researching to hire a motorcycle accident attorney.
- Experience – For reasons that we have explained, having a lawyer who knows the legal system, is well-informed of motorcycle accident law, and who has fought for their clients in a courtroom before is crucial to a successful motorcycle lawsuit. Look for a personal injury lawyer with years of experience handling motorcycle crash cases.
- Reputation. In the world of law, an attorney’s reputation means everything. You want to choose a motorcycle accident lawyer with a successful reputation and proven history of getting the best results possible for their clients to represent you.
- Personality. While this component is often overlooked, it is a good idea to hire an attorney that you get along with. Your motorcycle accident attorney needs to be there for you to give you any updates, answer your questions, and return your calls and messages within a reasonable period of time.
- Focus. After a severe motorcycle crash, you need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney, not a divorce lawyer. Make sure the attorney’s practice is focused on personal injury law and motorcycle accidents and that they have experience in lawsuits involving liability and causation.
- Objectivity. Before hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer, be sure they are not looking to rush you through your case and settle just so they move on to their next client. Look for an attorney ready and willing to focus and fight for you for as long as it takes to get you the reasonable compensation you rightfully deserve.
When a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Is Not Needed
Though they are a great deal of help to victims, not all cases require a motorcycle accident attorney. For instance, if your motorcycle accident injuries are minor, such as a couple of scrapes or bruises, you may wish to pass on an attorney. Your injuries and damages may not warrant the expense of litigation. However, this route may not be the best. We recommend that prior to settling with any insurance company for what may appear to be “minor” injuries, make sure you are medically cleared by your physician. Oftentimes, those minor aches, pain, and bruises can turn into something major and become progressive and more serious down the road. That is why it is of vital importance to get yourself medically checked out. If you’re not sure if you have a case, we suggest calling for a free consultation with a motorcycle accident attorney today. Remember, you may be entitled to pain and suffering damages following a motorcycle crash. No attorneys’ fees are earned unless you receive a settlement. You have nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain.
If you or a loved one has suffered from severe injuries as a result of a past or recent motorcycle accident in Syracuse or Utica NY, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. At Brindisi, Murad, Brindisi & Pearlman, we know how vulnerable motorcycle riders are on the road, and we have spent years representing victims of a serious motorcycle crash, including families in wrongful death lawsuits, get what they rightfully deserve. We’re lawyers in Central New York who love our community and want to fight for you. Contact The People’s Lawyer today for a free consultation.
CONTACT US FOR A FREE CASE EVALUATION
After a lengthy season, winter is finally gone and spring is here in Central New York! Not only will there be more vehicles on the road enjoying a nice drive and traveling on vacations, but the spring also means it is time to bring out that motorcycle! There is...
In 2015, 4,976 people died in motorcycle accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, this number increased 8.3 percent from 2014. Safety is the most important thing when it comes to riding a motorcycle. There are various ways to...
The U.S. Department of Transportation approximates that, on average, a driver will be involved in a motor vehicle accident about every 6 years and drivers will have a “near miss” of an accident at least once or twice per month. In 2014, over 4,500 people died...